Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day in Philadelphia (Day 5)

Can I just say how grateful I am that I have such a remarkable family? I spent the day in Philadelphia helping my Aunt Amanda and Uncle Jack clear out their basement and wash their outdoor furniture after it was flooded by the tropical storm. It was great to be able to do something to support my family at a time they needed it the most, but heartbreaking to see my Aunt and Uncle look miserably at the huge pile of memories and furniture they had in the junk pile. At one point, we even had a neighbor of theirs, Bill, come and help move things from the damaged basement to the front yard where the pile of junk to throw away seemed to be continuously growing. We saw from a distance the creek, now 30 feet across, brown, and ominous looking, barreling down where the smaller 8 foot creek used to lie. A couple times I remembered standing in it with his dog during one of their 4th of July picnics where the entire community and our whole family came to have fun. It looked like a flood-damaged town, not like the bustling Wilmington town it was. But I have no doubt that they will rebuild and move on, because the whole town is extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment